Where to Start:
- Check out the following Creating a Family radio shows:
- Major adoption sending country charts: 25 factors to consider before choosing a country (including information on each country's attitude toward single parent adoption).
Back to Top
- The University of Oregon's Adoption History Project has an excellent overview of the history of single parent adoption.
- Choosing Single Motherhood: The Thinking Woman's Guide by Mikki Morrissette I loved the spirit of this book. Without glossing over the hard parts, Morrissette celebrates motherhood and the choice to parent without a partner. This book covers families formed by adoption, by using a known sperm donor, and using an unknown donor. The only thing I would change about this book is the name. It is equally applicable to women or men who choose single parenthood. I interviewed the author on the Creating a Family show on Oct. 15, 2008.
- Single Mothers by Choice—National organization of Single Mothers, Inc. Forums and quarterly publication. Not specific to adoption.
- Choosing Single Motherhood is a website full of resources and support for single mothers by choice.
- Parents Without Partners, Inc.—Not specific to adoption.
- Single-adopt-china. Yahoo group at www.groups.yahoo.com.
- The Single Mother's Guide to Raising Remarkable Boys by Gina Panettieri & Philip S Hall.
- Grants for Single Moms provides a variety of resources for single mothers, including a section on grants and information to help you become a single mom through domestic adoption or foster care.
- Choice of Choice 2010: Profiles - A compilation series of the best stories, tips and insight from ChoiceMoms.org
Back to Top
Our blogroll for this topic can also be found on the Creating a Family adoption and infertility blogs pages.
- Single Mothers through Fertility Treatments:
- The Riveting Mama- Woman trying to become a single mother using donor sperm. Not pregnant yet.
- Making My Family- Single mother to a boy via IUI and donor sperm.
- A Planned Life- Single mother to a boy using IUI and donor sperm.
- The Business of Baby- Single woman pregnant with first child after using FET.
- Singular Desire- Single woman in her 40s trying to conceive using fertility treatments.
- Me... Plus One- Single mother to a daughter conceived using IUI.
- OMG There's 3- Single mother to two-year-old triplets through fertility treatment
- Stork Stalking- Single woman pursuing surrogacy after trying to conceive using IUI.
- Me, Myself, and Twins- Single mother to twins via embryo donation. The children have an open relationship with their donors.
- Single Mothers through Adoption:
- Single Infertile Female- Woman in the process of adopting a child after two failed fertility treatments.
- Creating Our Joy- Single mom of two girls. One adopted from Ethiopia and one from Guatemala. Very real, open, and honest about the ups and downs of adoption.
- Little Did I Know- Single mother of three through foster care adoption who blogs about motherhood and faith. Looking to adopt a fourth child from Haiti.
- Mama C and the Boys- Single mother of two- one via domestic open adoption, and one from donor sperm. Blogs on transracial adoption, and multiracial families
Back to Top
- Support from City to City- The Single Mothers by Choice organization offers local group networks in many cities.
- Solo Mums by Choice Australia has online and in person support for Australian single moms regardless if they pursue parenting through pregnancy or adoption.
- Yahoo has a group for everything, including Choice Moms- women who choose single parenthood. This is a great place to hang out when you are considering this option, and an even better place to find like-minded moms after you become a Choice Mom.
- Choicemoms.org is a great website where choice moms can find information and support. Hands down the best resource out there for single women choosing to become moms.
- Single minded Women is a great site for all aspects of being a single woman, including a section on single motherhood. This site provides support and information for single moms regardless if they are single by choice or by accident, and regardless whether they became moms through adoption or donor insemination.
- SingleMom.com—Information and forum geared to support women who choose to become single moms either through birth or adoption.
Back to Top
Image Credit: tacticdesigns